Thursday, May 26, 2011

2nd Back Surgery

 
Posted by Picasa



Where do I even begin. The last 4 months have kind of been crazy. The past year I have really been struggling with my back again. It's been going in and out and totally laying me up. After many doctors appointments and visits to the ER it was determined that I needed surgery again. I had two disk my L3-L4 and L4-L5 that had completely ruptured and broke off into my spinal column. Well needless to say I was very unhappy and in a ton of pain. Crawling was the most comfortable position for me. On April 12th I went in for surgery. I was in the hospital for 2 night and 3 full days. Ouch was an understatement on how I was feeling. The Surgeon removed 80% of one disk, 50% of the other, and just over a pound of muscle and bone at was around those disks on pushing on my spinal nerves. Recovery I was told was 8 weeks minimum. I was having a hard time believing that a first but I started to understand very quickly. The whole process has been BRUTAL! It's been 6 weeks and I'm still very uncomfortable and unable to bend or move around a lot. Everyday I'm making progress but it's at turtle speed. On June 9th I have another follow up appointment and at that time they will do more x-rays and I'm really hoping that I'm cleared to start physical therapy. I'm still unable to drive or do anything that takes a lot of energy. I know that this surgery will be totally worth it but it's hard to always keep a positive attitude. I was watching Zumba the other night on TV and I'm just hoping in the near future I will be able to dance again. I really enjoy working out and dancing. Sure can't do that yet! Some days I really struggle with being so young and being in so much pain. I know it will all come around in time. I have been very blessed with an amazing family and husband. I couldn't have gotten this far without them. My parents have been here 2 different time for over a total over 3 weeks. Lindsey and Blake VanOtten came down for a full week and took care of me. Love them all very much :) Chase has also been a total trooper. He like is play pretend doctor with me and make me feel better. The picture I have attached shows all the work on my back that you can see from the outside. I got to see the inside view on x-rays and that was horrible to see. Since this picture the staples have all been removed and it really looks a lot better. I'm still wearing the brace that goes around my middle/lower back and stomach area. I have at least a couple more week with that. It's great to get in the pool and let my body feel weightless and relax. After I see the Doctor in June I will hopefully have a positive update.
XOXOX

1 comment:

Nana said...

Ouch! Glad you are doing better now and that most of that ugliness is gone...:)